Potential Impact to Inventory Management
USP <795>, <797>, & <800> standards updated
November 1, 2023
Struggling to find compounded oral liquids or transdermal preparations? We've got you covered.
We are here to help and ready to provide the compounded preparations that you may be searching for.
Amitriptyline HCl 5mg/0.05ml in Anhydrous Lipoderm EZ Dose Micro Transdermal Gel, 3ml
Fluoxetine (as HCl) 5mg/0.05ml in Anhydrous Lipoderm EZ Dose Micro Transdermal Gel, 3ml
PrednisoLONE 2.5mg/0.05ml in Anhydrous Lipoderm EZ Dose Micro Transdermal Gel, 3ml
Cisapride 5mg/ml Chicken Flavored Oral Suspension, 60ml
Metronidazole (as Benzoate) 100mg/ml Chicken Flavored Oral Suspension, 240ml
Pimobendan 5mg/ml Flavored Oral Suspension, 60ml
What do the new USP standards mean for veterinarians?
Shortened Beyond-Use Dates (BUDs) for office stock and prescriptions.
• Practices and pet owners may need to order more frequently.
• Our technology can help by making the ordering process easier and more efficient for your staff.
More products will come from our 503B outsourcing facility.
• Practices may need to familiarize their staff with new preparations and labels as medication appearances and forms may change.
• Currently, 82 medications are being compounded at Wedgewood Connect, our FDA-registered 503B outsourcing facility, which adheres to cGMP practices.
• 21 additional medications will be transitioning to Wedgewood Connect.
• You can view and order seamlessly from our entire combined Wedgewood Pharmacy and Wedgewood Connect formularies at WedgewoodPharmacy.com.
Changes and their impact
The revised USP chapters introduce changes to compounded medication BUDs. This may necessitate more frequent ordering for uninterrupted treatment.
<795> - Nonsterile Preparations: Changes include shortened BUDs.
<797> - Sterile Preparations: Changes include mandated stability testing to determine BUDs.
Rest assured that we are here to help you navigate these changes. We have always followed USP standards, and we are well-equipped to comply.
• We are investing significant resources into conducting the stability testing required by the revised USP standards so that we can continue to offer you the longest BUDs possible in the industry.
• Our ordering platform will show the BUDs for all medications. (If a medication is affected, you will see an alert!)
State-regulated compounding pharmacies must adhere to Beyond-Use Dates (BUDs). Beyond-Use Dates are assigned to compounded medications to indicate the date after which the medication should not be used, as determined by the pharmacy's stability testing or other considerations.